1. First woman to be hired as a photojournalist.
2. First photographer for Fortune magazine in 1929.
3. First Western photographer allowed into the Soviet Union.
4. First female war correspondent.
5. Picture on cover of first Life magazine.
|This picture was part of The Photography of Design collection. |
New Deal: Montana; Fort Peck Dam, Diversion Tunnel 1936.
This is a very succesful picture for several reasons. It really incorporates design elements such as line and shape. It has such an interesting design which works really well in black and white. The lines guide the viewer's eyes to move around the picture. Also, the figure in the picture creates interesting variety in the shot. Margaret Bourke-White's use of shadows and a good composition helped to make this a memorable shot.