Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Henri Cartier-Bresson [Historical Photographer]

Behind the Gare, St. Lazare


"I suddenly understood that photography could fix eternity in an instant."

Henri Cartier-Bresson, born in 1908, turned to photography after first being involved in painting. He liked the freedom it offered to capture a moment in an instant. He said, "I prowled the streets all day, feeling very strung-up and ready to pounce, ready to 'trap' life." He saw his camera as an extension of his eye. Cartier-Bresson traveled all over the world photographing various places. When he became more popular he photographed Ghandi's funeral and several other significant historical events. Although he was most well known for his photography, at the end of his career he returned to his original love of painting and drawing. "All I care about these days is painting-photography has never been more than a way into painting, a sort of instant drawing." He retired from photography in the early 1970's and died in August 2004.

I thought it might be a good exercise for my sketchbook to paint my photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment